‘Tis the season to brush off that glittering top, polish the shoes and partake in the festivities of the season.
Remember etiquette is about behaviors that make others feel comfortable in our presence. Those things we can do to make others experiences a little bit brighter. And good etiquette translates into positive relationships. Here are some tips for navigating the holiday social scene.
1. When invited to a party make sure you RSVP or reply to the invitation immediately. Don’t wait until the day of to let the host know of your presence. Party planning requires numbers to ensure there is enough food and drink for everyone.
2. Show up on time. If it is a sit down dinner, make sure you arrive just a touch early and if it is an open house, give yourself plenty of time to mix and mingle with guests.
3. Don’t spend the evening over eating and drinking, especially at the company party. Keep your drinking and eating to a reasonable level and never ask for a doggy bag for home!
4. Ensure your are dressed appropriately for the event. If it is not stated on the invitation, ask the host what the dress code is to be that evening. You don’t want to show up in jeans if it is black tie.
5. Don’t overstay your welcome, bring a small hostess gift and follow up with a hand written thank you note.
Follow these tips and you are bound to impress the host and the guests with your charm! Happy Holidays!