Ok, I admit, I took it! I took the challenge that is sweeping the internet. My daughter dumped a bucket of ice water on me and I donated to ALS. It is personal for me because I had a good friend die of ALS so it was a no brainer. But what if you already donate to a number of charities and just can’t quite see yourself participating in this one? What if everyone in the office wants to do it but you don’t? Here are some key ways to gracefully bow out without upsetting everyone and maintaining your dignity at the same time.
1. If you are invited via Facebook, thank the invitee for the challenge and then message them to let them know that you will not be participating at this time. It is not necessary to give a reason unless you want to let them know.
2. If you work with someone who invites you to participate, kindly thank them for the invitation but explain that at this time you will not be engaging in the challenge.
3. It is important to look them in the eye, smile and firmly let them know that “no” is your final answer.
4. If further pressed and you want to explain yourself, just ask the person to step aside and once alone, explain your reason for not participating. Many people already donate to causes close to their heart and feel that they have given as much as they can give.
5. If this is a cause close to your heart, but you fear water that is full if ice, politely with a smile on your face, let them know you have already donated.